CNIB provides Ontario’s only literacy and basic skills program for Deafblind adults in Ontario, funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development.
The program addresses a wide range of student goals, including:
- Secondary school credit
- Post-secondary education
How is it delivered?
- One-on-one or small group instruction
- Instruction in the preferred method of communication of the student
- Flexible class times
CNIB’s instructors follow the Ontario Adult Literacy Curriculum Framework, which is a competency-based framework that supports the development of adult learners and literacy programming.
What instruction is given?
- Basic computer training
- Recognition and classification
- Data management and probability
- Filling out forms
- Reading comprehension and writing skills
- Job readiness
- Managing schedules
- Working with others
- Problem solving
- Resume writing
- Community partner referrals and resources
Methods of communication:
- Sign language
- Two-hand manual alphabet
- Voice over
- Lip reading
- Large-print notes
Assistive technologies available:
- Screen-reading software (ie. JAWS – Job Access With Speech)
- Screen magnification software (ZoomText)
- Braillers – slate and stylus
- Braille printers
- Closed-circuit televisions
- Specialized phones
- Deafblind Ontario residents 19 years and older whose literacy skills are below Grade 12, and who are proficient enough to benefit fully from the language of instruction
- Assessed with combined loss of hearing and vision
Where is it offered?
- Classes are offered in Ottawa, Kingston, Toronto, Hamilton, Brantford and London
- Instruction is available at various locations, including on-site classrooms, in the community or at the student’s home
How to apply:
Call or email to arrange an interview.
Contact CNIB’s Deafblind Literacy Program
Beverly Morris, Manager, Deafblind Community Services , London
Phone: 519 685-8420 x.5103
Jessica White, Manager, Deafblind Community Services , Ottawa
Phone: 613 563-4021 x.5016
Alice Burton, Manager, Deafblind Community Services ,Toronto
Phone: 416 486-2500 x.8265
Tammy Taylor, Manager, Deafblind Community Services , Hamilton
Phone: 905 688-0022 x.5333
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This Employment Ontario program is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario and through the Canada-Ontario Job Fund Agreement.